Thursday, May 27, 2010

What Keeps Me Warm

In the January issue of Oprah’s Magazine, Helen Beck had a great article about how to find out if you are in the life meant for you. She simplified the way one would go about finding this out by using a children’s game as a metaphor. The game involved one person hiding something while the other person was out of the room. Once the item was hidden, the other person came in to find it. The only clues were that as the person got closer to the item she/he was getting warmer and when the person was further away, she/he got colder.

As you may have already figured out, she was saying that when you are doing something and you are feeling cold and uncomfortable this is not what you should be doing. On the other hand, if what you are doing makes you feel warm and complete, it is there you should be.

To me this metaphor, though just a few words, spoke volumes! Immediately, the first thought that came to my mind is that when I am doing all things relating to PFLAG, I feel warm. Whether it is doing a speaking engagement, marching in the parade or attending a support meeting, at the end of the day there is always a warm and content feeling.

Just recently on a trip to Ft. Myers Fl., which I have done for the last 10 years each fall and spring, I stepped outside my comfort zone. I was in a consignment shop looking for treasure and there I met Scott Miller. Scott was working at the shop and his partner was leaving as I entered. I shopped for a bit knowing all the while that I could not leave the store without introducing myself. I went back and forth, do I go the “gay way” or do I mind my own business, smile and leave. Well, I guess I knew all along I would never mind my own business, so I started out with PFLAG as the ice breaker and then there was no turning back! It was just the best. I learned all about Scott and his partner Manuel. Scott also told me about a couple of places my son, Max, and his partner Robert can go for drinks and dinner the next time they are in Florida visiting with me and Rich.

Scott and I promised we would get together when I am back in April and I will make every effort to make that happen. As I drove away I realized, Scott is the first gay man I have met in my ten years of going to Ft. Myers! I can’t wait to make him my friend.

As we said our goodbyes, I felt warm and content (not due to the temp) and the rest of my day was extraordinary. Traffic lights were only green and all parking spaces were up front waiting for me to pull right in!

When you have a minute try this simple little game and find out where you belong. Just like Dorothy, in the Wizard of OZ, we all have the power over our destiny, we just have to listen for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment