Thursday, May 27, 2010

Robert

Robert is my dream come true. He is my son’s boyfriend who I met for the first time several weeks ago. Since our first meeting we have also had the pleasure of spending a 3-day weekend together for a family wedding in Newport RI where he met our large family and extended families.

Initially when Max told us he had met someone significant and he wanted us to meet him, me being me said, “Talk to me in ninety days and if you still want us to meet him, we will be more than happy to head to NYC for a meet and greet.

Since we make plans and God laughs, Robert came to Boston several weeks ago for business and Max joined him for the weekend. Of course Rich and I were in Florida at the time but we wanted to meet him before the Thanksgiving weekend wedding, that Robert was attending with Max, so we came home early to take them out to dinner and I returned to Florida the next day. It was the best decision we have ever made!

The three hour dinner that we enjoyed was so perfect it was beyond anything I could have ever hoped for. Some of Max’s friends and cousins had already met Robert and the feedback was very positive but this information did not prepare me for the wonderful energy between Max and Robert and this is what put me over the top with joy!

Since Max came out to us six years ago, one of my biggest concerns was, would he find a boyfriend who loved him for being Max and have similar goals and interests. I wanted Max to experience what it’s like to be truly loved and respected and be able to return that love and respect as well. As I said to Rich on the way home from dinner that night, it’s as if I gave God a checklist and he returned it with all the boxes checked!

As the weekend wedding approached we became more and more excited about seeing Max and Robert. During our drive to Newport that weekend it was all we talked about. In fact we made more than a few phone calls to them, checking on where they were in their journey up from NYC. I must say, Max was gracious with each phone call since I’m sure he was annoyed each time his phone rang but he never let us know!

From Friday to Sunday the weekend just got better and better. Robert was a huge hit with the family. Friends and family alike all found time to tell us how glad they were for Max to have found such a fine young man.

After we said our goodbyes on Sunday and started for home, I began to ask myself why I have become Robert’s biggest fan. Just as I pondered the question the answer became very clear to me. Robert and I have something in common we both love Max very much!

Only time will tell where this relationship will go but for right now I am going to stay present in each day and bask in the joy.

No comments:

Post a Comment