Wednesday, May 19, 2010

OY VEY HE'S GAY!

Why I think this blog is necessary:

I joined PFLAG (Parents, Families & Friends of Lesbians and Gays) in October 2001, two months after my son Max came out. Looking back, I can see it was a major turning point in my life, and the beginning of a journey I will continue to travel, for a very long time.

By going to the meetings, I met many parents, just like myself, as well as young adults, who would join the adult meetings several times during the year. After meeting with the young adults on several occasions, I realized through my conversations with them, that the parents have no idea what their children are thinking, and the children do not know what their parents are thinking. What I found to be true, is that the two groups were not communicating with each other, which in turn leads to misinformation, fear and isolation.

It was not until I came to this realization, did I understand how my son was feeling. This enlightenment made my journey to acceptance sooner than later, simply because my son is my son, and to see him in pain, is like a knife in my heart.

Fortunately, I work for a major airline, and have had the good fortune to work with many gay men and women, young and old, and have learned so much from their stories.

By listening to them, I have grown into a person who has learned humility and courage. I have also realized that education and understanding is the only way our young gay men and women, who are our sons and daughters, brothers and sisters, nieces and nephews as well as our grandchildren, will have the acceptance they deserve. We need to give them their self esteem back as well as our unconditional love.

I have been wanting to do something like this for a long time. It has been as if a seed has been planted in my heart. I have nurtured that seed with warm thoughts and caring, and as I begin this labor of love, I can feel the germination of the seed, along with the excitement of anticipating the blossom in the future.

I hope you enjoy this blog and my posted stories.

You can respond to this blog publicly or privately at maxmulcahysmom@gmail.com.

With love and peace, Max’s mom, Barbara Mulcahy

No comments:

Post a Comment