Monday, February 14, 2011

Ten Reasons Why I Feel Blessed to Have A Gay Son

For this blog post I thought it would be fun to list 10 reasons why I feel so blessed to have a gay son. Of course I have more than 10 reasons but I didn’t want to run the risk that you’d be nodding off at #105, so I think these 10 will get the message across. I also have to preface that the order of the reasons do not have any significance so please don’t feel slighted that you are not mentioned at the top.

  1. This one is obvious for any mom who has an only child who is gay. I now will be able to bequeath my jewelry to whomever I want and not have to worry about an ungrateful daughter-in-law wearing my favorite pieces before I hit the pearly gates!

  1. I am blessed to have met mentor and friend, Pam Garramone. She is the executive director of Greater Boston PFLAG and is amazing. Pam works so hard keeping our children safe in our schools. She works tirelessly giving workshops for teachers and students to give them the tools to eliminate bullying and foster acceptance of our LGBT youths. .

  1. My sister Frayda needs to be mentioned. From my very first article that I wrote for the GBPFLAG newsletter, Frayda has edited all of them. She has had her pen on every piece I have produced. We’ve laughed together and cried together and she’s never let me down. Frayda has been by my side, step by step, on this amazing journey and for this I am blessed.

  1. My moms that I mentor are definitely in the top ten. These women have worked so hard to find their voice as parents of a gay child. We’ve had tears and laughter during these past three years and hope to have many more in the future. It takes a special breed of mom to walk this walk and they are among the ones that count.

  1. Half way done and not any less important. My family and friends have always been there for me. In the early days when I was so sad and confused they all listened to my sad tales of woe and never judged me. You can pick your friends, you can choose your enemies but your family is your family and for that I am grateful.

  1. I would be remiss if I did not mention all the gay men and women at American Airlines that I have worked with during the last 10 years. I’ve had hours and hours of jumpseat therapy. Sometimes giving it and other times receiving it. Each time I start a trip, if there’s at least one gay flight attendant on board, I know it’s going to be a good trip!

  1. ROBERT, ROBERT, ROBERT! Robert is Max’s “main squeeze” and we are truly blessed to have him in our family. From the very first meet and greet, I said to Richie, “I hope this ones a keeper”. He is everything I had hope for in a mate for Max, all boxes checked! One of the many reasons I love Robert so much is because we both love Max. They are made for each other and for this I am truly blessed.

  1. This is for all the gay and lesbian men and women I have met over the years. I would not be the person I am today if did not meet and befriend them. Whether it was at the parade, on the plane or at a PFLAG meeting, I have become a better version of myself. I am, without a doubt, one of the lucky ones.

  1. Nine belongs to my “main squeeze” Mr. Richie Weiner. He is the glue that keeps our family together. Max and I would have dropped into a dismal abyss if Richie was not there to embrace, love and never leave us. For this I am grateful everyday, for the blessing of him.

  1. By now I’m sure Max is wondering why he’s not #1 on the list, but that is just Max being Max and why we love him. So, I have saved the best for last, and that’s my Max, my best work. In my view he’s won life’s trifecta, a great career, a wonderful home and most importantly an amazing relationship with Robert. Those three things are what make you whole and allows you to be all that you can be. Max is the best of the best, cream of the crop, top of the heap and for that privilege of being his mother I will always be greateful, and cherish the blessings that have been bestowed upon me.

I have so enjoyed writing this post because it has been a mid winter reality check. So when I have computer glitches that bring me to my knees to pray and I’m shoveling snow storm after storm I can remind myself just how blessed I am, and carry on!

Hugs, Barbara

No comments:

Post a Comment